Pork belly. It is simply one of the tastiest cuts of meat you will get from any beast. It is of course the source of the almighty bacon, but if that's the only way you ever eat it, you are missing out. A nice big piece of pork belly, slow cooked, is a little melting piece of heaven. Leave the skin on and cook it right, and it will be a crispy, crunchy, soft-in-the-middle revelation.
If you've ever had pork rinds or chicharones, then you know how good crispy pork skin can be. When done right, it has a satisfying crunch, and then melts away, leaving only a hint of delicious fatty goodness. A nice layer of perfectly crisped skin on top of a soft piece of slow-cooked pork belly creates a perfect contrast of textures.
To make this recipe I use raw, cured pork belly. The pork belly that I found at my local grocery store was already cured, but if what you find hasn't been already it's very easy to cure yourself. I've included a recipe for a simply brine at the bottom of this post. Just submerge the pork belly in the brine and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Whether you brine it yourself or your buy pork that has already been cured, you will have to rinse it thoroughly before cooking to make sure that it is not too salty.
The red wine braised cabbage from my last post is an ideal accompaniment to the crispy pork belly. The sweet & sour flavour of the cabbage goes really well with the rich meat. It's reminiscent of sauerkraut, or even Korean kimchee, which is maybe why I decided to throw a couple of Asian flavours in my glaze for the pork. Honey garlic glaze is always good with pork - the addition of ginger and sesame oil just takes it to the next level.
Prep time: 15 minute + 3 hour rest. Cook time: 30 minutes. Make 4 appetizers
4 3.5 oz (100g) pieces skin-on, cured pork belly
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons water
2 cups red wine braised cabbage
Pre-heat the oven to 280F
1. Thoroughly rinse the pork belly in cold water and then pat dry with paper towels. Score the skin of the belly down to the fat using the sharpest knife you own. An inexpensive box-cutter razor works great for jobs like this. Allow the skin to dry in the fridge, uncovered, for at least 3 hours or overnight.
2. Heat 2 tbs of vegetable oil in a cast iron pan and place the pieces of pork belly in the pan skin side down. Adjust the heat until the skin is frying with a slow steady sizzle. Allow the skin to fry until it is golden and crispy. This will take about 8 to 12 minutes. Keep a close eye on the pan as it cooks, adjusting the temperature of the pan as you go. You want the pan hot enough that you can hear the skin sizzling, but not so hot that it will burn.
3. When the skin has crisped, flip the belly over and finish it in the oven at 280F for 15 minutes.
4. While the pork cooks in the oven, make the honey glaze. Combine the honey, mustard, soy sauce, ginger & galic in a small sauce pot. Add a couple tablespoons water and bring to a simmer. Let simmer until the water has boiled off, about 5 minutes, then strain.
5. Remove the pork belly from the oven and then use a pastry brush to apply the honey glaze. Return the pork to the oven for 2 minute and then take it back out and glaze it one more time.
6. Heat the red wine braised cabbage and then divide it among 4 plates. Place one piece of pork belly on each plate and drizzle with extra braising juice from the cabbage and honey ginger glaze.
*to cure the pork
1/2 gallon (2L) water
1/2 cup (135g) salt
Bring the brine to a boil then cool it down in the fridge. You can add any aromatics you like, such as garlic, thyme or bay leaves. Submerge pork in brine and let sit in the fridge overnight.
hollister, herve leger, canada goose, insanity workout, nfl jerseys, canada goose, soccer jerseys, north face outlet, p90x, ugg, uggs outlet, canada goose, marc jacobs, new balance shoes, ugg pas cher, canada goose outlet, ferragamo shoes, canada goose uk, celine handbags, jimmy choo outlet, abercrombie and fitch, reebok outlet, mac cosmetics, longchamp, wedding dresses, ugg boots, beats by dre, mcm handbags, asics running shoes, ghd, giuseppe zanotti, babyliss pro, soccer shoes, canada goose jackets, ugg boots, ugg australia, lululemon outlet, birkin bag, mont blanc, north face jackets, nike huarache, nike roshe run, bottega veneta, chi flat iron, rolex watches, instyler, vans shoes, valentino shoesReplyDelete
montre homme, iphone 6 cases, thomas sabo, swarovski crystal, hollister clothing store, swarovski, lancel, rolex watches, moncler, ray ban, wedding dresses, air max, hollister, ugg, ralph lauren, coach outlet store online, pandora jewelry, converse, baseball bats, oakley, louboutin, juicy couture outlet, moncler, gucci, air max, pandora charms, hollister, moncler outlet, timberland boots, louis vuitton, toms shoes, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, vans, parajumpers, moncler, ugg, pandora charms, canada goose, moncler, moncler, links of london, converse shoes, moncler, supra shoes, karen millenReplyDelete
russell westbrook shoes
golden goose outlet
air max 97
michael kors outlet
The same can be said of the food. Dobui and Zohn inflect their dishes with regional Vietnamese character and frequently borrow from other traditions especially Japanese cooking. To make their extraordinarily light pho ga, they use the fat, fettuccine Coach Outlet Online 80 OFF like rice noodles frequently found in northern Vietnam and build each bowl from discrete, individually prepared components, much the way a ramen chef might.ReplyDelete
Known for over 20 years that this is the airport that needs to satisfy the passengers and the new opportunities that are in the marketplace today, said Puckering. Flying on Swoop is an opportunity that we are so glad to be supporting and part of. Swoop only has two planes and five destinations within Canada Hamilton, Abbotsford, Halifax, Edmonton and MK Outlet Sale Winnipeg but the airline hopes to have six planes and offer international Coach Outlet Purses On Clearance destinations by the end of the year..
Our day took Jordan Shoe Stores a wilder turn at Cottonwood Campground named for the tall trees that line the nearby Little Missouri River during an evening park program called Cheap Air Forces "Biological Bad Boys." White fluffs of cottonwood seed blew about as ranger Jeff Zylland schooled our enthusiastic class of tourists and campers on North Dakota Coach Outlet Clearance Sale predators. Wolves and bears, the latter of which Roosevelt pursued in his day, had long ago been hunted out of the area, he told us, and only one mountain lion is thought to roam the park. But other wily characters Cheap Nike Air Force 1 remain: He put MK Outlet Online up an amazing picture of a coyote and badger hunting together in a prairie dog town, which he referred to as "the refrigerator of the Badlands." A tourist, I noted with envy, had taken the photo..