To me, one of life's little pleasures is cooking with a smoker. There is something primal and satisfying about cooking with raw wood. I love the aroma of burning maple, hickory or apple wood. I enjoy smoking the typical favorites like salmon and pork ribs, but also smoke a variety of meat and fish all summer long in my little hibachi grill on my back porch. That's why for my first dish on Top Chef Canada, one that was supposed to represent my personality, I chose to do smoked salmon. I served the salmon with maple brandy butter and buckwheat pancakes. I will be posting that recipe soon, but for now here is a recipe for another fish that also has a real affinity for the smoker. I was lucky to find these incredibly fresh mackerel at the market, but if you can't find any, this technique works just as well with many fish, including trout, salmon, arctic char and sablefish.
Start to finish 12 hours, working time: 1 1/12 hours
4 fillets mackerel
8 juniper berries
2 tps black peppercorns
1 sprig fresh rosemary
2 tbs coriander seed
2 bay leaf
wood chips for smoking, preferably a blend of 80% maple 20% hickory
1. To make the cure, mix all the dry ingredients in a baking tray large enough to fit the 4 fillets. Remove half of the cure from the tray and lay down the four fillets. Sprinkle the remaining cure over the fillets. Let rest in the fridge for 8-12 hours.
2. Remove the cured fish from the salt and thoroughly rinse with cold water. Pat dry with paper towel and return the fish to the fridge until the smoker is ready.
3. Soak the wood chips in water for 1 hour. Strain, then wrap them in a tinfoil pouch and poke several holes in one side.
4. If you are using a charcoal grill, light the smallest about of coals that you can keep lit. After the coals have been burning for 30 minutes, place the pouch of wood chips directly on the coals. If using a gas grill, set the heat to the lowest setting and place to pouch of wood chip as close to the element as possible, without touching the flames. If your gas grill has a layer of briquets, this is where you want to put the wood chips.
5. Fill an aluminum tray with ice cubes and place the tray on the lowest rack of your BBQ. Lay the fish on the highest tray and close the lid, with the vent open. The ice will cool the smoke to prevent the fish from overcooking, but will not result in a "cold smoke." It is impossible to cold smoke on a normal barbecue. To make a real cold smoke, as is popular for salmon, you need a specialized smoker where the heat source is completly seperated from the meat or fish.
6. Leave the fish in the smoker for 1 hour, keeping a very close eye on it. Charcoal fires have a tendency to go out at the low heat that you want to keep your barbecue at. More importantly, make sure the barbecue does not get too hot. If it does get too hot, spray a small amount of water on the wood chips to cool them.
7. Check the fish after 1 hour. The fish should have a light brown glaze, and a smoky aroma. Depending on the intensity of the heat and smoke, the fish might need up to 30 minutes more in the smoker. Be careful not to overcook the fish or it will become dry.
8. Marinate cooled fillets in olive oil with slices of lemon. Smoked mackerel, if fully submerged in olive oil, will keep for 2 weeks. Smoked mackerel that has been vacuum sealed will keep for one month.
Homemade smoked mackerel is great on its own, served on crackers with a bit of pickled onion. You can also try serving it with hard boiled eggs, potato salad and dill sour cream for a Scandinavian style lunch. My favorite way to enjoy it is on a bagel with cream cheese. Bon Appetit!
hollister, herve leger, canada goose, insanity workout, nfl jerseys, canada goose, soccer jerseys, north face outlet, p90x, ugg, uggs outlet, canada goose, marc jacobs, new balance shoes, ugg pas cher, canada goose outlet, ferragamo shoes, canada goose uk, celine handbags, jimmy choo outlet, abercrombie and fitch, reebok outlet, mac cosmetics, longchamp, wedding dresses, ugg boots, beats by dre, mcm handbags, asics running shoes, ghd, giuseppe zanotti, babyliss pro, soccer shoes, canada goose jackets, ugg boots, ugg australia, lululemon outlet, birkin bag, mont blanc, north face jackets, nike huarache, nike roshe run, bottega veneta, chi flat iron, rolex watches, instyler, vans shoes, valentino shoesReplyDelete
montre homme, iphone 6 cases, thomas sabo, swarovski crystal, hollister clothing store, swarovski, lancel, rolex watches, moncler, ray ban, wedding dresses, air max, hollister, ugg, ralph lauren, coach outlet store online, pandora jewelry, converse, baseball bats, oakley, louboutin, juicy couture outlet, moncler, gucci, air max, pandora charms, hollister, moncler outlet, timberland boots, louis vuitton, toms shoes, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, vans, parajumpers, moncler, ugg, pandora charms, canada goose, moncler, moncler, links of london, converse shoes, moncler, supra shoes, karen millenReplyDelete
Your site is very helpfulReplyDelete